Mar. 08, 2023 / Updated by Renata to Windows 11
The most common computer problems are the Blue Screen of Death, Black Screen, and even there is Red Screen of Death. Even though they show different colors on the screen, they are all indicating one thing: the computer malfunction.
This article summarizes several common reasons and solutions for the red screen of the computer.
Solution1. Check Computer Peripheral
Solution2. Update Graphic Card Driver
Solution4. Recover Atikmdag.sys File
Solution5. Remove Overclocking Settings
What Causes Red Screen of Death？What to do when the computer turn red?
Computer error can be mainly divided into two main reasons, the first is hardware issues, and the second is system program issues.
1. Monitor Failure
Fix: Replace the display monitor. If the computer boot normally after connecting with another monitor, it means the former monitor’s failure causes a red screen of death.
2. Cable Damaged
Fix: The connection cable is not in good contact, or the cable is faulty, which may cause the problem. Users can re-plug the cable and replace another one.
3. Graphics Card Damaged
Fix: The graphics card is responsible for the screen output of the computer. When the graphics card fails, there will be a blue screen, flickering, color confusion, or even a direct black screen. Users can replace the graphics card for testing.
If the above three methods fail to solve the red screen problem, it is the computer system and software problems that cause the red screen
Viruses in the computer, software conflicts, and file corruption and loss may all cause a red screen. Computer problems come in many varieties, and the same problem can manifest itself differently on different systems.
A driver is a software that allows your computer to communicate with hardware devices. Without drivers, the devices you connect to your computer—for example, a mouse or external hard drive—won't work properly. Updating the graphics card driver can correct the BUG in the old version, and can further tap the functions of the graphics card hardware, so that some hardware functions can be fully utilized.
It is highly recommended to download a free driver updater, Driver Talent. It will scan the computer by only one click that display all the drivers that can be updated on the list. In addition to updating to the latest version, users can also choose other versions to download.
On Windows 10, Windows 11 system, you can update graphics card driver as the following steps manually:
1. Press WIN+X at the same time
2. Enter into Device Manager
3. Choose your purpose device
4. Select drivers which need to be updated
5. Select Search automatically for drivers
If the Red Screen appeared after installing a new software or editing system settings, it might be the new launcher causing computer errors.
To remove software, please follow the below steps:
1. Type WIN+S together and input Control to search for the control panel
2. On the control panel, search for Programs and Features
3. Choose Uninstall a Program
4. In the Progress and Features window, right-click on any new program that the computer has installed recently. And then select uninstall.
If your graphics card is an AMD graphics card, please try this method:
1. Launch the AMD driver folder, locate the atikmdag.sy_ file
2. Copy + Paste the atikmdag.sy_ file to the desktop display.
3. Type WIN+S open searching window, type CMD and launch Command Prompt as administrator
4. Now inside the Command Prompt window, type chdir Desktop and then press Enter
5. Further type or Copy + Paste EXPAND.EXE atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys and then press Enter
6. Close the Command Prompt window.
7. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and then rename the file to atikmdag.sys.old
8. Move the atikmdag.sys file from the Desktop to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers, and then lastly
9. Restart computer
Overclocking is a manual method of increasing the clock speed of an electronic component to operate at a speed higher than that specified by the manufacturer to improve performance, but this may lead to a decrease in the stability of the component. It definitely increases the performance, though it also increases the heat production of your CPU and GPU. Further, due to the increased heat, CPU or GPU might become unstable, or it can also lead to permanent CPU damage.
If users experience a red screen of death, all overclocking settings should be removed.
Tip: BIOS=Basic Input Output System
1. Use the startup shortcut key to enter the BIOS: After pressing the power button, press F8 several times in a row until the computer enters the BIOS interface
2. Turn off the overclocking function in the BIOS: enter the BIOS, in the Advanced advanced settings, advance Frequency/VoltageControl, then go to Powertechnology, find EnhancedInterSpeedStepTechnolog, select Enabled, press F10 to save.
3. Use power management to turn off: adjust the power management mode to "high performance mode", and set the processor's maximum frequency to 99%, and the CPU overclocking will fail.
|ExplorerMax||Driver Talent for Network Card|
|Smart and advanced file explorer tool for Windows platforms||Download & Install Network Drivers without Internet Connection|
|30-day Free Trial||Free Download|