If you recently upgraded to Windows 11 and are experiencing the frustration of the Windows key not working, know that you are not alone. This problem can be annoying and time-consuming, especially when you rely on the Windows key to access various functions on your computer. Fortunately, there are some simple solutions that you can try to fix this problem. In this article, we will discuss some easy ways to troubleshoot the issue.
Before you start making any changes to your computer, ensure that your keyboard is working correctly. Try using the Windows key on a different keyboard to see if the problem persists. Alternatively, you can test your keyboard on a different computer to see if it works correctly. If the problem is not with the keyboard, then move on to the next step.
The Windows key not working may be caused by outdated or corrupted keyboard drivers. To fix this, you may need to update your keyboard drivers.
If you are not comfortable doing it manually, you can use an automated tool such as Driver Talent. Here's how:
1. Download and install Driver Talent from their official website.
2. Run the application and click on the Scan button to check for outdated drivers.
3. Once the scan is completed, locate the keyboard driver and select Update.
4. Follow the instructions to update the driver.
Driver Talent is a free software for those who affected by driving issues. Thousands of drivers are configured in the software, suitable for Windows 11, Windows 10, Windows 8, is also suitable for desktop and laptop. Check which drivers need to be updated and which drivers can be backed up and reinstalled for free.
Sometimes the driver automatically downloaded by the computer does not solve the problem. For this stubborn driver problem, Driver Talent provides various driver versions for download, unlike other driver updater providing the latest version for choose.
Microsoft regularly releases updates to fix bugs and errors, including issues with the Windows key. To check for updates in Windows 11, follow these steps:
1. Press the Windows key + I key to open Settings.
2. Click on the Update & Security option.
3. Click on Check for updates to search for any available Windows 11 updates.
4. If updates are available, download and install them.
A corrupt system file can cause the Windows key not to work correctly. A system file check will scan your computer, check for corrupt files, and repair them if necessary. Here's how to run a system file check:
1. Press the Windows key + X key.
2. From the menu that appears, select PowerShell (Admin).
3. Type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
4. Wait for the scan to complete. If any corrupt files are detected, they will be repaired automatically.
Disable and then re-enable the Windows key to ensure that it's not just stuck or locked. Here's how to do it:
1. Press the Windows key to open the Start menu.
2. Right-click on the Taskbar and select Taskbar Settings.
3. Scroll down to the Taskbar items section and click on the Keyboard icon.
4. Toggle the switch next to Use the Windows key to show the Start menu to Off.
5. Restart your computer and re-enable the switch.
If you've tried all the above steps and are still struggling with the Windows key not working, performing a clean boot may be the solution. A clean boot will start your computer with a minimal set of drivers, software, and services. This will help you identify and isolate the problem. Here are the steps:
1. Press the Windows key + R key to open the Run dialogue box.
2. Type msconfig and press Enter.
3. Click on the Services tab and select Hide all Microsoft services.
4. Click on Disable all to disable all third-party services.
5. Click on the Startup tab and select Open Task Manager.
6. Disable all startup items.
7. Restart your computer.
We hope that these steps helped you to fix the Windows key not working issue in Windows 11. Remember to check the keyboard, update drivers, install updates, run a system file check, disable and re-enable the Windows key, and perform a clean boot. If all else fails, you can seek the help of a professional technician to diagnose and fix the computer error.
|Driver Talent for Network Card
|Smart and advanced file explorer tool for Windows platforms
|Download & Install Network Drivers without Internet Connection
|30-day Free Trial