Nov. 20, 2017 / Updated by Bessie Shaw to Windows 10
Speakers not working on Windows 10 is one of the reported issues after the Windows 10 Anniversary update. Users complained that they have turn up the volume as well as the speakers, but either the internal speakers or the external speakers play no sound. How to fix such speakers not working or no audio problem?
If you really encounter the speakers not working issue on Windows 10, don’t worry and try the solutions below to fix it.
First and foremost, it is important to check the related hardware on your computer, such as the sound buttons, the connected ports, the cables, the sound device, etc.
1. If you are using a laptop, check if you’ve disabled the function key that can control the internal speaker. Find the speaker icon on F1-F12 keys and use shortcut keys Fn + (F1-F12) to re-enable the feature.
2. Check the connected cables and make sure that you have selected the correct ports. Also unplug the speakers and then plug them back in to see if the no audio issue has been resolved.
3. Connect the external speakers, for example, Bluetooth speakers, to another PC and test if it can work properly. If not, something may be wrong with the sound device that causes the no sound issue. If your speakers device is too old to be compatible with Windows 10, it is recommended to use a new one.
You may want to check out:
4. Use the recorder and the microphone on Windows 10 to take a record and then to see if the computer can play out the audio.
If all the hardware is in its good condition but the speakers not working issue on Windows 10 Anniversary still persists, continue the reading for more solutions.
Sometimes, it is the Sound settings that cause the speakers not working on Windows 10. So follow the steps below to modify the properties and fix the issue.
1. Right click on the speaker icon in the taskbar and select Playback devices.
2. Select the playback device you want to use and right click on it to select Enable. This will set your external speakers as a default one.
Note: If you fail to find your device, enable the Show Disable Devices and Show Disconnected Devices on the context menu.
3. Right click on the speakers again to select the Test and listen if there is any sound.
4. Click Properties button and choose the Advanced tab. Then set the Default Format according to your speakers configuration, usually, 24bit/44100 Hz or 24bit/192000Hz.
5. Go to the Enhancements tab. Enable the Environment. You can also try to change the Setting to Room.
Now test your speakers device to see if the no audio issue recurs.
If the solutions above do not work, you may also need to check the Windows audio services.
1. Launch Windows Services on the Windows 10.
Note: If you forget the way to open it, click How to Open Windows Services on Windows.
2. Navigate to Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder. Double click on the services.
3. Choose the General tab and click on the Start button.
4. Select Automatic from the drop down menu of the Startup type.
5. Apply the changes and close the window.
Would such a little workaround do for solving the speakers not working on Windows 10 issue?
Windows Troubleshoot is a handy tool you can use on Windows 10, which will detect and repair the speaker not working issue automatically.
1. Use Windows shortcut keys Win + X to launch the Jump List, and then select Control Panel.
2. Choose Troubleshooting, and then click Troubleshoot audio playback.
3. Click Advanced and enable Apply repairs automatically. And then click Next.
Your computer speakers should now play sound normally.
If you get information that shows the generic audio driver has a problem, you can follow Solution 4 below step by step to fix the speakers not working or no sound problem.
An audio driver update can cure the speakers not working on Windows 10 problem.
1. Use Windows shortcut keys Win + X and open the Device Manager.
2. Expand the Audio inputs and output entry and Sound and audio devices, and then right click on the current sound driver and Uninstall it.
3. Right click on the entry and select Scan for hardware changes.
This will help to update the driver automatically. But if the speakers not working issue still persists, try downloading and installing an older version audio driver of the Windows 7, because, sometimes, the latest driver may not release the pain.
You may want to check out:
Note: If Windows 10 fails to install the sound driver, you need to install it manually, but driver without digital signature won’t be allowed to install on Windows 10 Anniversary. For more information, see Driver Signature Issue on Windows 10 Anniversary.
Instead of downloading drivers manually, you can use Driver Talent to download drivers automatically, which can scan your PC for problem audio drivers and fix the speakers not working on Windows 10 problem easily. Click the button below to get one directly.
Hope the solutions above can help you solve your speakers not working on Windows 10. If you have any other Windows 10-related problems, check for solutions in our Windows 10 Issues and Fix section or just comment below to let us know.
|Driver Talent||Driver Talent for Network Card|
|Download & Install Network Drivers||Download & Install Network Drivers without Internet Connection|
|Free Download||Free Download|