Apr. 18, 2018 / Updated by Bessie Shaw to Windows 10
High disk usage or 100% disk usage in Windows 10 has been a headache since the Windows 10 upgrade (Creators Update/Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709/Spring Creators Update 1803). A lot of users complained the issue on Reddit. Whenever turning on the laptop or desktop, the disk usage has been in 100 percent in Task Manager, but you even do anything with your computer.
Today we will introduce to you several ways of how to fix 100% disk usage after Windows 10 upgrade or Windows 10 Fall Creators Update/Spring Creators Update/Anniversary Update.
Below are top 5 solutions to help you to fix Windows 10 high disk usage issue, with which you can also fix Windows 8 100% disk usage problem. The methods also adapt to laptop or desktop of various PC bands running Windows 10 Fall Creators Update/Creators Update/Anniversary Update, like Asus, Acer, HP, Dell, Lenovo, IBM, Sony, Samsung, etc.
This service is built to improve PC performance by speeding up the startup of programs and pre-loading the apps you often use into memory. But if you do nothing after powering on, it will still take up high percentage of the disk. So disable the Superfetch service to fix the Windows 10 100% disk usage issue.
1. Use Windows shortcut keys Win + X to launch the quick menu.
2. Select the Computer Management.
3. Expand Services and Applications in the left column.
4. Click the Services.
5. Navigate to Superfetchand double-click it.
6. Select the Disable from the drop-down menu of Startup type.
7. Click the Apply and the OK button.
The HomeGroup services also affect the feature of the hard drive and the running speed of the system. So disable them.
1. Repeat Step 1 and Step 2 of Way 1 above.
2. Double-click the HomeGroup Listener and HomeGroup Provider.
3. Select the Disable from the drop-down menu of Startup type.
4. Click the Apply and the OK button.
Virtual memory can be considered as being an extension of the physical memory. Set a manual value for the virtual memory to solve the 100% disk usage in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update/Creators Update/Anniversary Update and improve the PC performance.
1. Use Windows shortcut keys Win + PauseBreak to open System.
2. Click on Advanced system settings in the left column.
3. Choose the Advanced tab.
4. Click the Settings under the Performance item and open the Performance Options.
5. Choose the Advanced tab.
6. Click the Changebutton.
7. Uncheck the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives.
8. Choose the Custom size to set proper paging file size for each drive.
Note: The size should be about 1.5 times or twice that of the memory. For example, if the physical memory is 2G, the initial size is recommended to be set to 2G*1.5*1024=3072MB and the maximun size 2G*2*1024=4096MB.
Outdated AHCI driver will affect the system performance and result in 100% disk usage in Windows 10, 8, 7 and other Windows OS. Besides, outdated, missing or broken drivers can also cause issues like ghost touch screen, Bluetooth not working, PC not waking up from sleep, etc.
So use some professional driver update utilities, for example, Driver Talent, to fix the high disk usage problem.All the drivers are safe and well tested.
You can click the button below and get such a utility directly.
1. Click the button Scan to detect the PC for outdated drivers.
2. Click Update to download and install the latest and the proper AHCI driver.
3. Restart the PC to make the newly installed driver take effect.
You may also like to check out:
Though drives defragment and optimization is helpful to improve disk performance, it is not necessary to optimize the drives in schedule. You can disable the drives scheduled optimization to solve the 100% disk usage in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update/Creators Update/Anniversary Update.
1. Right click on the C drive.
2. Select the Properties.
3. Choose the Tools tab.
4. Click the Optimize button.
5. Click on the Change settings button.
6. Uncheck the Run on a schedule.
If you have more solutions for solving the 100% disk usage in Windows 10 or Windows high disk usage problem, share them with a typing in the comment section below. If this article is helpful to you, add it to your bookmarks. You can click the LEFT MENU on this page for more help when you fail to troubleshoot the 100% disk usage problem. Any other PC issues, like no WiFi, PC slow, no sound, USB not working, Bluetooth not available, mouse and keyboard not working, please see the Windows 10 section on this site.
|Driver Talent||Driver Talent for Network Card|
|Download & Install Network Drivers||Download & Install Network Drivers without Internet Connection|
|Free Download||Free Download|