Jun. 24, 2022 / Updated by Helia to Windows 10
Many factors can result in the microphone not working problem on your Windows 10 Creators Update/Fall Creators Update/Windows 10 April 2018 Update Version 1803 laptop or desktop. For instance, broken audio hardware devices, like the sound card, the microphone or the USB port, may cause no sound when you’re recording. Windows will also run into microphone not working problem when the sound settings are incorrectly configured. Outdated, incompatible, or broken audio driver often causes sound issues such as no microphone enhancement tab problem, skipping sound in microphone, static sound in headphones, etc..
In this Windows 10 guide, we'll walk you through top 4 ways to fix microphone not working after the Windows 10 Creators Update or the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. Now let's begin.
Firstly, make sure there are no problems with the audio-related hardware, like the sound card, the microphone, the speakers, etc. You need to check such device just in case you waste time on other useless computer operations.
1. Make sure the sound card is right in its port. You can clean the dust around it with a brush.
2. Connect your microphone to another Windows computer to see if it is working properly. If it works, then the problem may exist in your computer.
3. Try another working properly microphone on your Windows 10 Creators Update/Fall Creators Update laptop or desktop. If the microphone can record any voice, then the original one may run into problems.
4. If your microphone has a USB connector, you can plug it into the port on the back of the host instead of the front one.
See Also: Computer Won't Recognize Hardware and Devices – How to Fix
If there's no problem with the hardware, you may need to go on checking microphone status on your Windows 10 Creators Update or the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update computer. Log in the Windows and do the following:
Step 1. Use Windows shortcut keys Win + I to launch the Settings.
Step 2. Go to the Privacy menu.
Step 3. Select the Microphone tab on the left side.
Step 4. On the right side, toggle the switch button under the Microphone to On position.
Step 5. Scroll down to enable or disable apps that can use the mic.
Now speak to your microphone check if it can work on the OS. If not, you need to check the sound settings.
You can follow the steps below to fix the no sound with the microphone and unmute your microphone.
1. Right-click the sound/speaker icon on the taskbar.
2. Select the Recording devices.
3. On the recording devices list, right-click the Microphone for Enable. (Note: If the device is missing, you can right-click on the list and select Show Disable Devices.)
4. Highlight the Microphone.
5. Click the button Set Default below the list.
6. Click the Apply.
Then the microphone has been set as the default recording device. Now go to the Step 2.
See Also: Top 4 Ways to Fix “An App Default Was Reset” Error on Windows 10
1. Double-click the Microphone device.
2. In the Microphone Properties, choose the Levels tab.
3. Drag the slider of both the volumes to a higher value.
4. If there are red marks beside the speaker icon, click on the icon to unmute it.
5. Click the Apply.
Now go to the last step to troubleshoot the microphone not working issue.
See Also: Fix: Audio/Sound/Volume Icon Missing on Windows 10
1. Choose the Enhancements tab.
2. Check the Disable all sound effects checkbox.
3. Click the OK.
Speak to the microphone to see if the sound wav is acting on the right of the microphone device.
See Also: Fix No Microphone Enhancement Tab in Windows 10
After the Windows 10 Creators Update/Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709/Windows Spring Creators Update 1803, some of the hardware device drivers may not be updated to the latest version compatible with the new OS. So the audio drivers become outdated, which often result in problems like recording failure or microphone not working. In this case, you need to use Driver Talent to update the audio drivers or the microphone driver on your Windows 10 Creators laptop or desktop.
It is a professional driver download and update utility that offers the latest official and WHQL drivers for Windows OS. You can get access to this utility via the Download button above. Here's how to quickly update the drivers:
Step 1. Click Scan to detect the outdated, missing or incompatible microphone driver.
Step 2. Click Update to download and install the best-matched driver. Or click Repair to fix microphone driver problem instantly.
Step 3. Perform a restart to make the driver changes take effect.
Note: It's better to backup all the drivers before any changes so that you can restore the system or the drivers once you come across other issues like slow PC problem, 100% disk usage problem, black screen issue, no WiFi available, etc. on Windows 10 Creators Update/Fall Creators Update.
See Also: 4 Fixes for Microphone Not Working after Windows 10 April 2018 Update 1803
All of the above are the possible best solutions to unmute your microphone on Windows 10 Creators Update or the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. If you have any other questions or solutions on how to fix microphone not working issue, you can inform us by comment. Any other microphone or audio-related issues, please see Windows 10 section on this site for solutions.
|ExplorerMax||Driver Talent for Network Card|
|Smart and advanced file explorer tool for Windows platforms||Download & Install Network Drivers without Internet Connection|
|30-day Free Trial||Free Download|