Sep. 05, 2018 / Updated by Bessie Shaw to Windows 10
You may get stuck on the computer fan noise problem due to the high CPU usage on your Dell XPS 15, HP Pavilion G6, Lenovo Yoga 910 or other brand PCs. After the operating system is updated to the latest version, like the Windows 10 Creator Update or the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, some users also hear a loud whirring noise from the cooling fan. The high CPU usage and the overheating computer affect the continuity of their office work.
The noisy laptop fan or desktop fan often indicates something wrong with the computer. Many factors can result in the loud fan noise, such as the hardware device, the incorrect Windows 10 configuration, the recent Windows updates, the driver issues, etc.
Today, let’s have a close look at how to troubleshoot the noisy computer fan caused by High CPU usage on your Windows 10 OS.
A CPU fan is a PC cooling component found in the Central Processing Unit. If the CPU fan goes wrong, it won’t offer temperature protection properly by cooling down the system and prevent its parts from being damaged due to overheating. If your Windows 10 suffers the high CPU usage and gets overheating during your computing, it is better to check the CPU fan firstly.
The noise is usually caused by dust accumulated on or in the fans, like the CPU fan, GPU fan or power supply fan. Thus the Task Manager detects a high CPU usage on Windows 10. To check and clean the CPU fan, you need to do the following:
1. Shut down the computer and cut off the power supply.
2. Remove the case panel of the computer.
3. Locate the CPU fan as well as other fans.
4. Use a brush or a cotton swab to gently sweep the dust away from the fan blade. You can also use a can of compressed air to clean all of the dust in the case.
5. Re-oil the fan by dripping the oil into the hole in the center.
6. Check the connectors and re-plug them right to the ports.
Note: If your computer has been working for many years, the CPU fan may be too old to run on the PC. You may like replace it with a new one.
After the cleaning, turn on the PC to see if the noisy hardware issue or the high CPU usage still persists. If so, you need to continue the reading and do some other modifications on Windows 10.
High CPU usage can cause the high running of the computer fan, thus it will produce a loud noise and get overheating. In fact, it is some unnecessary Windows services that result in the high CPU usage. But you can manually disable the services on Windows 10 and quiet the cooling fan.
1. Use Windows shortcut keys Win + R to launch the Run.
2. Type into services.msc.
3. Hit the Enter.
4. Navigate to the following services and double-click them:
Connected User Experiences and Telemetry
Diagnostic Policy Service
Diagnostic Service Host
Diagnostic System Host
5. Select the Disabled from the drop-down menu of the Startup type.
6. Click the Apply and OK.
Windows 10 will automatically download the latest lock screen background (Windows Spotlight), which will cause the high CPU usage and result in the noisy desktop or laptop fan issue. So go to the Settings to make some changes.
1. Use Windows shortcut keys Win + I to launch the Settings.
2. Go to the Personalization menu.
3. Choose the Lock screen tab on the left side.
4. If you see the Windows Spotlight selected as the Background, change to the Picture or the Slideshow via the drop-down menu.
To fix Lenovo Yoga 910 fan noise issue and other noisy laptop fan problems, you can try changing the cooling mode. Windows 10 offers two cooling modes. The Active mode runs the computer fan before the CPU gets heated while the Passive mode cools down the CPU after its temperature rises. To silence the computer fan, you need to change to the Passive mode. (Note: This method can only quiet the cooling fan but not reduce the high CPU usage.)
1. Right-click the power icon and select the Power Options.
2. Click the Change plan settings beside the current power plan.
3. Click the Change advanced power settings.
4. Scroll down and expand the Processor power management.
5. Expand the System cooling policy.
6. Select Passive from the drop-down menu of the option On battery and Plugged in.
If the methods above still not quiet your computer fan, you may need to update the drivers or BIOS on your Windows 10. Outdated or incompatible chipset driver, graphics driver, BIOS firmware can result in many computer problems, such as slow PC after the update, graphics not showing, endless boot loop, etc.
Proper driver and BIOS updates can fix the high CPU usage or 100% disk usage and provide support for the hardware device. So you need to download the best-matched drivers or BIOS updates to troubleshoot the fan noise issue. In this case, you can use Driver Talent, the professional driver updater, to download and install the official and WHQL drivers/BIOS for Windows 10.
Click the button above to get the drivers and BIOS downloads directly.
1. Click the Scan to detect the faulty drivers on your computer.
2. Click the Update or Repair to download and install proper drivers or BIOS firmware.
3. Perform a restart to make the changes take effect.
Now you can work in a quiet environment and the loud noise produced by the CPU fan won’t affect you anymore. But if the noisy computer fan issue due to the high CPU usage still persists, your computer requires service, or you can comment below to tell us or click the left menu on this page or go to the OSToto official forum for help.
|360 Total Security Business||Driver Talent for Network Card|
|Deploy critical protection to secure your corporate data||Download & Install Network Drivers without Internet Connection|
|30-day Free Trial||Free Download|